Hong Kong Montessori Research & Development Association (HKMRDA) is a registered charity in Hong Kong, founded by a group of international Montessori teachers in 2010. HKMRDA is devoted to develop and promote authentic Montessori education, provide professional training for teachers, establish professional standards for Montessori education, support other Montessori schools, kindergartens and childcare centers, and cultivate a group of Montessori parents and children. The founders of HKMRDA started to promote Montessori Education in Hong Kong since 2006 and set up the first and only internationally recognised Montessori Teacher Education Programme in Hong Kong In 2012, (American Montessori Society Affiliated and Montessori Accreditation Council for Teacher Education Accredited).
31 August 2020 marks the 150th anniversary of Maria Montessori's birth. Dr. Montessori's timeless accomplishments and contributions to education will always inspire us in our work today. Her educational approach based on a scientific understanding of the development of children is applied in over 60,000 schools across the world today. In Hong Kong, there are now over 20 registered Montessori schools. To celebrate Montessori's legacy, we look back on the history and development of Montessori education in our city. As educators and Montessorians, we dedicate our full efforts and passion into continuing Montessori's meaningful work of following the children and creating a more peaceful, harmonious world.
- The first Montessori Kindergarten opened on Hong Kong Island (Record from Education Bureau).
- Various Montessori schools established around HK. These are mainly catered for the early years of 2-6 years.
- HK’s first Montessori Elementary School (& Kindergarten) opened for 3-12 years old, established by International Montessori School.
- Infinity Children’s World (ICW) opened for 1-6 years old and became first school to launch a comprehensive Montessori Parent Education Programme in HK (range from 8 to 90 hours).
- HK Montessori teachers invited to the first Montessori Asia Conference in Taipei to speak on the topic of Parent Education.
- Hong Kong Montessori Research and Development Association (HKMDRA) founded by a group of International Montessori teachers with the aim of developing and promoting Montessori education and professional training for teachers in HK, Macau and Mainland China.
- Montessori Asia founded and registered in HK.
- Founder of HKMRDA invited to speak at the second Montessori Asia Conference held in Seoul, South Korea.
- Founders of HKMRDA invited to speak at the third Montessori Asia Conference held in Beijing, China.
- ICW together with Montessori Teacher Education Center/ San Francisco Bay Area launched the first AMS-affiliated and MACTE-accredited Montessori Early Childhood Teacher Education Programme (TEP) for adult learners in HK (AMS-American Montessori Society, MACTE-Montessori Accreditation Council for Teacher Education).
- Founder of HKMRDA invited to speak at the fourth Montessori Asia Conference held in Singapore.
- Founder of HKMRDA invited to speak at the fifth Montessori Asia Conference held in Moscow, Russia.
- HKMRDA organized the first TEP.
- Founder of HKMRDA invited to speak at the sixth Montessori Asia Conference held in Tokyo, Japan.
- Article on new parent education model in HK and Greater China published in Montessori Life (AMS Journal), authored by Founders of HKMRDA by invitation from AMS.
- The Global Citizen Hong Kong Montessori Conference held in HK, organized by International Montessori Council, attended by over 300 delegates from 30 different countries.
- The seventh Montessori Asia Conference held in HK, organized by HKMRDA together with The Education University of Hong Kong, AMS, Association of Children Education International – Hong Kong & Macau and Montessori Asia, attended by over 600 delegates from over 20 countries.
- HKMDRA became a registered charity.
- Infinity Montessori Academy (IMA) launched the first international Montessori Infant and Toddler TEP in HK which is later AMS-affiliated and MACTE-accredited.
- Founder of HKMRDA invited to speak at the eighth Montessori Asia Conference held in Shanghai.
- IMA TEP (Infant & Toddler and Early Childhood Teachers) recognized as MACTE-accredited.
- HKMRDA launched the first Early Childhood TEP.
- IMA TEP (Infant & Toddler and Early Childhood Teachers) recognized as AMS-affiliated.
Founding Chairman: Ralph Yau